- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 pound slice of meaty bone-in beef shank
- 1 large onion, peeled & quartered
- 4 large beets, peeled & chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 large russet potato, peeled & cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream
1. Bring 4 cups of the beef broth, the beef shank and onion to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is tender. About 1 hour, 30 minutes.
2. Transfer meat to work surface; trim fat, sinew and bone and discard. Chop meat; cover and chill. Cool broth slightly. Chill in pot until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
3. Spoon fat from top of chilled broth and discard. Add remaining 4 cups of broth, beets, carrots, and potato; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Stir in meat, cabbage and 1/2 cup dill; cook until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in vinegar.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream and remaining 1/4 cup dill.